On 1 March 1855, the Madras Parental Academic Institution and Doveton College were established at Vepery within the local limits of Madras and was opened for commencement of study.
Peter Carstairs was the Trustee and sole surviving executor of the Last Will and Testament of John Doveton. Peter Carstairs was based in Madras and was a merchant and an agent. He was Chairman of the first Appointed Trustees of the Madras Protestant College Trust. If it was not for this gentleman who actually carried out the wishes of John Doveton, these Doveton institutions would not have come into existence.
There have been several name changes such as the Madras Parental Academy and Doveton College to the Madras Doveton Institution and Protestant College, etc. It now goes under the name and style of the Doveton Protestant Schools Association, governed by the Madras Doveton Protestant college trust Deed, which embodies the Last Will and Testament of the late Captain John Doveton.
The Doveton Boys’ School was established in 1855, followed by the Doveton Girls’ School in 1856 and came into the present building in 1888. The Bishop Corrie High School, founded in 1836 amalgamated with Doveton Protestant College on 1 January 1928 bringing about another change to Doveton Corrie. A few years later Bishop Corrie started to function again at George Town but the name Corrie remained with Doveton. It was decided with effect from 1 January 2010 revert to the original name, by dropping Corrie from the name.
For several years right up to the year 1955 there were no additions for the Doveton Schools till the purchase of property at 8, General Collins Road by the Doveton Protestant Schools Association from Mr. Howard Oakley on 29 January 1955. The Board of Governors at that time purchased this property for educational purpose.
On 15 July 1955 the Oakley Nursery School was established. On 1 April 2001, the name was changed to Doveton-Oakley. The present Management felt the necessity of starting another School to cater to children in and around Vepery area because of the increasing need for accommodation in our Schools. On 14 June 1993 the Doveton Matriculation School was started. The Management launched out on Rs.82 Lakh programme for the construction with all amenities for a separate building for the Matriculation School.
The foundation tablet was laid by Dr. C. Palanivel, Director of School Education. The Matriculation School started in 1993. During the dynamic Presidency of Mr. H.E. Wilkins, the School has been upgraded to Higher Secondary level by July 1997 and the Nursery Section was introduced in June 2002. It is to be placed on record that the Management under the leadership of Mr. J.D. Bornshin had thought of celebrating the Founder’s Day from 1st March 1994.
The Management at that function, honored staff who have served in these institutions for over 25 years. On 9th June 2010, a New School Building was declared open by Mr. Neil O’Brien Chairman of the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations.
This new addition to the Doveton Group under the Presidency of Mr. H.E. Wilkins continues to offer the ISC stream of education. On 26th May 2011, The Doveton Sports Academy came into being, offering sports development opportunity to students of the neighborhood. The Grace Matriculation Higher Secondary School in Kodungaiyur was acquired, by outright purchase, and taken over on 19th October 2011.
The Management had decided to change the name to Doveton Matriculation Higher Secondary School, which shall be referred to as North Gate for convenience and brevity.
The Doveton Group of Schools is one of the most popular and one of the oldest schools in Chennai; it has six schools in its management. An International School, Two Higher Secondary Schools, a Matriculation School and Two ICSE / ISC Schools in Vepery in the city of Chennai – India.